Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I got to go SAILING today

Any day I get to sail is a good day. Today, there were light winds from the south and south-east. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to keep the boat moving (most of the time). That is Angel Island in the picture below.


Never mind Taihiti, I would be happy to make it to Alcatraz. It is only about 10 miles. I've been out with the boat three times since I bought her in early December. Each day, I set out to sail around Alcatraz. There has been so little wind on those days that I haven't even gotten close. Oh well, these are good conditions for me to learn how my boat handles.


Alcatraz is that little bump just to the left of the ship. The San Francisco downtown skyline is to the right.

I saw quite a few seals/sea lions today during the time when the boat was mostly drifting. The dark spot in the water between my boat and the one in the background is a sea lion (honest).


Sailing days so far have taken about as much time to get ready and then to clean up afterward as I spend sailing. It takes about an hour to get everything put away so it won't fly all over the boat if it heels very far. I also have to take the covers off the sails and get the lines all straighted out. When I am in my slip, they are tied up in various imaginative ways to keep them from tapping against the aluminum masts when the wind blows. It sounds kind of like wind chimes when you are outside the boat but it sounds like living inside a steel drum when you are inside. Once the sailing part is done, the lines go back to their secure position, the sail covers go on and the boat gets a deck washing. Today was about three hours of sailing and two hours of prep and wrap-up.

We've had an idylic Fall/Winter so far. It looks like it is coming to an end with normal winter wind and rain due to arrive here Wednesday or Thursday. I will be getting some experience in more challenging conditions.

I got my slip rental statement for the past month. My electric bill is almost as bad here as it was living in a house. It all goes to run the heaters and the hot water heater. Bleah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment